Some Functions of the Tibet Album
This website features...
- Thousands of previously unpublished or unseen photographs
- Rare photographs documenting people and places that no longer exist in Tibet
- Fully searchable records
- Research-led entries for each photograph
- Unique historic albums viewable page by page
- Identification of previously unattributed or mis-attributed photographs - including those of the Sikkimese photographer Rabden Lepcha
- Some of the first colour photographs produced in Tibet
- Extracts from official reports, personal papers and handlists produced by the photographers and linked to relevant photographs
- 300 named people (mainly Tibetans) have been identified in the photographs so far...
- 80 biographical entries for those individuals derived from rare British Government documents
- Multiple versions of original photographs in a variety of formats
- Scans viewable at a glance and in comparison
- Many photographs dated to the day they were taken
- New ways of thinking about photographs as visual history
This website enables...
- Interactive browsing in numerous ways - maps, biographies, photographers, collections
- Search according to date in both Western and Tibetan calendars
- High powered zoom function for close focus analysis of image content and techniques
- Send feedback on the photographs to the project
- Make your own "Tibet Album" and send it to friends
- Word search