BMR.6.8.200 (Transparency colour)
Hugh E. Richardson
East Kyichu Valley Region > Uru Katshal
60 x 90 mm
Richardson's 1948 tour of the East Kyichu Valley
Technical Information - The camera used to take this collection of colour slides (Dufay colour) were a Zeiss Super Ikonta and a Reflex Korelle. [KC 09/10/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Typewritten handlist entitled 'Hugh Richardson Collection, The British Museum. Photographs taken between 1936-50. Cameras: Zeiss Super Ikonta, Reflex Korelle. 300 colour slides (Dufay colour); copies made Jan. 1995.
[no.] 200. Katshal Gompa and chapel at Medro Gongkar, northeast of Lhasa. This remarkable chapel was founded in the 7th century. Its heavy buttresses at the altar end are unusual in Tibetan architecture. There is a small altar with a tiny ambulatory corridor around it. The monastery (Katshal Gompa) on the right was founded by Guru Rinpoche (Padmasambhava) in the 8th century.'[KC 11/10/2006]
Other Information - Location: Richardson mentions this site in High Peaks, Pure Earth , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, p. 306, " ... near the mouth of a wide valley stands Dbu-ru Ka-tshal (1948-9), a temple in miniature founded by Srong-brtsan Sgam-po as one of those intended to suppress the demoness threatening Tibet. Some eight miles up the 'On valley is the ancient temple of Ke-ru (1949). It has a small assembly hall and at the back of it a red-painted door in roughly carved pillars opens onto the ancient chapel in which is a superb Sakyamuni Buddha, perhaps the most beautiful in Tibet. ... There is also a chapel of Atisa with a mchod-rten in the Indian style." [KC 5/6/2006]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Temple and monastery of Uru Katshal " 05 Dec. 2006. The British Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_BMR.6.8.200.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The British Museum.
© The British Museum