Hugh E. Richardson
c. October 1938
60 x 60 mm
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
Notes on print - 'Fox rDoring Thejyi Kyibuk' (in pencil) is written on the reverse of print in Richardson's hand and '507' and 'Velox' in an oval is stamped in black. [KC 5/7/2006]
Clare harris 2003: Kyibu, a 6th rank official in charge of the city police, with his wife. He was one of the four boys sent to England to be educated at Rugby in 1913 (arranged by Sir Charles Bell and the 13th Dalai Lama). Kyibu was married to one of Jigme Taring’s sisters and lived in a house near the Jo khang. He did not do well at Rugby and upon his return to Lhasa was put in charge of developing the telegraph system, which he knew little about, and so retired to the family estates. Spencer Chapman describes him as a “nervous little man with an apologetic air and a straggly moustache”. (1938:86)
Other Information - People: Alex McKay writes about Reginald Fox in Tibet and the British Raj , 1997, Richmond: Curzon Press, p. 203 - 4, "Reginald Fox served as Lhasa mission Radio Officer from March 1947 until 1950 and similarly died soon after retiring. While he and his Tibetan wife were frequently mentioned by travellers, there is also no trace of him in surviving official records." [KC 13/12/2005]
Other Information - Dates: This is one of a group of related images that have contact prints all with a very distinctive batch development number on the back, which appears to be the number 507 printed in red but is in all cases identically partially indecipherable, indicating that they were all made at the same time. Some of these images relate directly to Richardson's trip to Shigatse in 1938 and this has assisted the dating of this image [MS 19/12/2005]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Fox, Doring and Kyibu playing majong" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.7.48.2.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum