The Shengo and Abbots of Drepung monastery

The Shengo and Abbots of Drepung monastery

2001. (Film negative)

Image for comparison


Raw Image

Key Information


Hugh E. Richardson


Hugh Richardson

Date of Photo


Named Person

Drepung Abbots, Drepung Shengo


Lhasa > Dekyi Lingka

Accession number


Image Dimensions

55 x 57 mm

The three Shengo (with padded shoulders) and five Abbots of Drepung monastery in the garden of Dekyi Lingka. The garden wall is directly behind them and there is a narrow slatted, slung bridge over a narrow canal in the foreground on the right.

Further Information

Photographic Process

Negative film nitrate

Date Acquired

Donated August 2001

Donated by

The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson


Hugh E. Richardson

Manual Catalogues -

Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album - '7' 'PEOPLE'

Manual Catalogues -

Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative index - 'do' [Drepung Abbots].

Research publication - Hugh. E. Richardson, Tibet and Its History , 1984 (2nd edition), Boston & London: Shambala, plate 2 b, "Abbots of Drepung". [KC 7/7/2006]

Clare Harris 2003: Drepung monatsery was founded in 1416 by Jamyang Choje Tashi Palden (1397-1449) and named after the abode of Shridhanyakata in south India. It was the largest monastery in the world, inhabited by approximately 9000 monks of the Geluk sect, and was closely associated with the Dalai Lama lineage.

Other Information - 'The three monks on the left are the Drepung Shengo and on the right are the 5 Drepung Abbots.' [TT in conversation with KC] [KC 9/6/2006]

For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "The Shengo and Abbots of Drepung monastery" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <>.

For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.

© The Pitt Rivers Museum