2001.59.4.76.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
Lhodrag Region > Pemaling
54 X 43 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Richardson's 1950 Lhodrag tour
‘Mk’yen Brtse’s guide to the Holy Places of Central Tibet’, Alfonsa Ferrari, Rome: ISMEO, Serie Orinetale Roma XVI, 1958 [view list of illustrations]
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album - '4 LHOBRAG 1950' 'Gongkar. Dzaring La. Lha khang Dzong. Sras. Pemaling Tso. Ku la kangri.' written in white in Richardson's hand.
Manual Catalogues - Notes in negative album '4' - Folio 76. 'Padma gling Dgon'.
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's Handlist. 'Album 4. Journey starting at Gong-dkar rdzong on Gtsang-po, 29.18 N. 90. 48 E. [no.] 76. 'Padma gling monastery, (smallest on record)'.
Research publication - Hugh Richardson, High Peaks, Pure Earth. Collected Writings on Tibetan History and Culture , 1998, Serindia. London. Plate 77. "Padma-gling" [KC 10/11/2006]
Manual Catalogues - [Hugh Richardson in conversation with Paddy Booz; see PRM Related Documents File] 'Pemaling, Peme Ling, Padma-gling (sgnub (sgnib) mtsho Padma gling). This is a Nyingmapa temple of the 15th c. located close to (within?) the Kula Kangri range, near Bhutan; also near Lhakhang Dzong. The temple was so small, Hugh Richardson had to sleep sideways in front of the altar. In the Kula Kangri mountains is the holy Pemaling lake; this tiny monastery/temple is on the lake's north shore.'
Research publication - Hugh Richardson, High Peaks, Pure Earth. Collected Writings on Tibetan History and Culture", 1998, Serindia. London. Plate 77.
Other Information - Pamaling Monastery was founded by Pema Lingpa (1450-1521).
Other Information - Background: Richardson describes the monastery in High Peaks, Pure Earth , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, p. 323, "About twelve miles norhtwest of Se [Sras Dgu-thog], in the heart of theSku-lha Gangs-ri mountains, is the sacred Padma-gling lake. In its north bank is the tiney shingle-roofed monastery of Padma-gling (1950) founded by Padmasambhava. It was the home to one old Rnying-ma-pa lama and a novice monk. ... The resident lama, who had many stories of mystic visions and harmonious sounds in the lake, wrote the temple's name for me as Ta-na-kso. ..."
Other Information - Dates: The date is derived from Richardson’s negative album No.4, the cover of which is marked with ‘Lhobrag 1950’. These images seem mainly to have been developed as part of a batch arising from a trip to Mug, Lhobrag etc in 1950, as well as images taken on other trips during this year (eg: Talung/Reting). The batch development numbers 608-615 on the back of the contact prints run sequentially and the images seem all to have been developed at the same time, and must therefore have been taken in or around this date. In addition, 2001.59.4.83.2, one of this batch, has also been identified on the back as having been taken in 1950 [MS 22/12/2005]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Pemaling monastery on the shore of Pemaling Tso lake" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.4.76.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum