2001.59.4.75.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
Lhodrag Region > Kula Gangri > Pemaling Tso
54 X 43 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Richardson's 1950 Lhodrag tour
‘Mk’yen Brtse’s guide to the Holy Places of Central Tibet’, Alfonsa Ferrari, Rome: ISMEO, Serie Orinetale Roma XVI, 1958 [view list of illustrations]
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album - '4 LHOBRAG 1950' 'Gongkar. Dzaring La. Lha khang Dzong. Sras. Pemaling Tso. Ku la kangri.' written in white in Richardson's hand.
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's Handlist. 'Album 4. Journey starting at Gong-dkar rdzong on Gtsang-po, 29.18 N. 90. 48 E. [nos.] 68-75. 'Padma gling lake and Sku-bla Gangs-ri'.
Other Information - Dates: The date is derived from Richardson’s negative album No.4, the cover of which is marked with ‘Lhobrag 1950’. These images seem mainly to have been developed as part of a batch arising from a trip to Mug, Lhobrag etc in 1950, as well as images taken on other trips during this year (eg: Talung/Reting). The batch development numbers 608-615 on the back of the contact prints run sequentially and the images seem all to have been developed at the same time, and must therefore have been taken in or around this date. In addition, 2001.59.4.83.2, one of this batch, has also been identified on the back as having been taken in 1950 [MS 22/12/2005]
Other Information - History: The lake is also known as Drubtso Pemaling (sgrub mtsho pad ma gling). It nestles below the Kula Gangri mountain. The lake and the mountain are said to be consecrated by Padmasambhava as one of the main sites of meditation in Tibet. Pemaling lake is one of the largest glacial lakes in Tibet covering some 7,554 m. [TS 18/6/2005]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Pemaling Tso lake at the base of the Kula Kangri range" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.4.75.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum