2001.59.4.20.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
Lhodrag Region > Mawochok
54 X 43 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Richardson's 1950 Lhodrag tour
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album - '4 LHOBRAG 1950' 'Gongkar. Dzaring La. Lha khang Dzong. Sras. Pemaling Tso. Ku la kangri.' written in white in Richardson's hand.
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative index '4' - Folio 20. 'Chorten. Below Mawa cog'
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's Handlist. 'Album 4. Journey starting at Gong dkar rdzong on Gstang-po, 29.18 N. 90.48 E. [no.] 20. Mchod rten S.E. of Smra-bo lcogs'.
Other Information - Background: Richardson describes the site in High Peaks, Pure Earth , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, p. 321, " On the hillside above Ris-med Lha-khang is Smra-bo lcogs-pa (1950). Originaly founded in the time of the kngs, it became the home of the famous gter-ston, "discoverer of hidden religious texts", Myang-ral Nyi-ma 'od-zer. In front of the temple are two large mchod-rten which are much visited by pilgrims." Also, "In the valley below the monastery is a large mchod rten made by Mnga'-bdag Myang. ..."
Other Information - Background: Mawo Chok (Smra bo lcogs) monastery is on the important monastery of Nying ma school of Tibetan Buddhism. The monastery is associated with Nyima Wosel, (1124-92), who was born near the monastery. Nyima Wosel is regarded one of five great discover kings (ter ton rgyal po rnga.) The monastery was founded in 12th Century at a sight where Nyima Wosel mediated. [TS 19/5/2005]
Other Information - Dates: The date is derived from Richardson’s negative album No.4, the cover of which is marked with ‘Lhobrag 1950’. These images seem all to have been developed as part of a batch arising from a trip to Mug, Lhobrag etc in 1950. [MS 22/12/2005]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Reliquary monument at Mawachok" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.4.20.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum