2001.59.2.41.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
Phenpo Valley Region > Gyal
55 X 57 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
Manual Catalogues - Notes on front of negative album in Richardson's hand in white: '2' 'Ramagang, 'Ushang, Tshurphu rgyal, Misc pillars'. On the reverse of negative album written in blue ink on white labels in Richardson's hand: 'Hu zhang, Pa blon chen, Pha bong ka, Nyenchen thang lho, Rva sgreng, Khro 'brug, etc. etc.' [KC 10/3/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative index - 'Ryal lhabon [?]'
Manual Catalogues - Richardson Hand List: Album no. 2, [no.] 23-5. 'Valley of Phan-po. N. of Lhasa'. [KC 22/3/2006]
Other Information - Background: Richardson discusses the site in High Peaks, Pure Earth , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, "Near the head of the 'Phan-po valley is the temple of Rgyal (1949), founded in 1012 by Zhang Sna-nam Rdo-rje dbang-phyug, whose family was related by marriage to the Tibetan kings. In front of the temple is a tall stone pillar with a partly damaged inscription of no real historical interest. The temple, formerly famed for its wealth, was looted and damaged by fire by the invading Mongols in 1280 ... The original name of the temple was Rgyal Lug-lhas, "The Sheepfold"." (p. 309)
Other Information - Dates: Hugh Richardson's interest in photographing inscription pillars and historical sites seems to have been particularly accute during the period 1948-50, although he states in A Corpus of Early Tibetan Inscriptions [Hertford: Stephen Austin and Sons, 1985, p.72] that he visited this site two miles out of Lhasa on many occasions [MS 16/12/2005]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Settlement of Gyal in the Phenpo valley" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.2.41.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum