2001.59.17.99.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
1946 or 1950
Tolung Valley Region > Tsurphu
55 x 55 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album (outer case) - 'INSCRIPTIONS ON RDO RINGS' (in black ink on white label) and 'Inscriptions & misc.' (in black ink on yellow label) is written in Richardson's hand on the cover of the negative album. [KC 21/9/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative index - 'Tshurphu pillar'.
Other Information - Cultural Background: Hugh Richardson, "Memories of Tshurphu", in High Peaks, Pure Earth , 1998, London. Serindia, pp: 730-733.
Other Information - Location: Tsurphu lies about forty miles to the west of Lhasa on the Drowo lungchu river. " Mtshur-phu (1946-50) [is] the principal seat of the Karma Bka'-brgyud school and residence of the Zhwa-nag ("Black Hat") incarnation. [It was founded] in 1187 ... Its many buildings are closely grouped in a high enclosed wall overlooking the "Gro-bo-lung-chu. The entrance on the west side is by way of a courtyard in which stands an inscribed pillar dating from the ninth century which has no obvious connection with the monastery." ( High Peaks, Pure Earth, H. E. Richardson, London, Serindia Publications, 1998, p. . 312) After passing through a narrow gate in the high wall surrounding the monastery one came to a wide paved courtyard with buildings on three sides, the west side being open. In the centre stood a stone pillar dating from the reign of Ralpachen and describing the foundation of a temple at Changbu in Tolung ... I was told later that the pillar was formerly opposite the main assembly hall, farther inside the monastery. ( ibid. 731) [KC 22/3/2006]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Inscription pillar ( doring ) at Tsurphu west of Lhasa" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.17.99.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum