Hugh E. Richardson
East Kyichu Valley Region > Gyer
60 x 60 mm
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Richardson's 1948 tour of the East Kyichu Valley
Notes on print - 'Chho-tens at Khyir', 'Khyer', 'Khyer' and 'Phan po chen machu' (in pencil) is written on the reverse of print in Richardson's hand. [KC 14/6/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Notes in negative index - Folio 96. 'Gyer mchod rtens.' [KC 30/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's Handlist, Negative book '9' 'Drikhung, Chongye etc.' [no] 96. 'Mchod-rten (stupas) near Gyer on right bank of Skyid chu near mouth of Phan-po valley, said to have been built to avert evil influences from the site of the Dga' ldan monastery before it could be built.' [KC 5/6/2006]
Other Information - Location: Richardson mentions this site in High Peaks, Pure Earth , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, p. 306, "At the mouth of the 'Phan-po-chu were four mchod-rten which had to be built before the construction of Dga'-ldan could be undertaken. They are known as the 'Dgyer (sp?) mchod-rten (1937). [KC 7/6/2006]
Other Information - Dates: The contact print of this image is part of a group made from 6x6 negatives that share the same batch development number [585 printed in black ink]. All of the contact prints processed in this batch seem to have been taken during or around the time of a trip to Drigung Monastery and Zhwai (Sha) Lhakhang, including Tsa Pobrag, Yeregang and Khyer. Photographs from this trip can be dated to 1948. In A Corpus of Early Tibetan Inscriptions [ Hertford: Stephen Austin and Son, Royal Asiatic Society, James G. Forlong Series, No. XXIX, 1985, p.45] Richardson states of the Zhwai inscriptions translated in the book that “The texts, which were first published in JRAS in 1952 and 1954, are based on copies and photographs made by me in 1948 and checked on a second visit in the following year”.
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Reliquary monuments at Gyer" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.15.96.2.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum