2001.59.15.95.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
East Kyichu Valley Region > Gyama
55 x 55 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
Negative Album 9 No. 95
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album (slip cover) - 'Drikhung. Chongye. etc.' in Richardson's hand in white. (Yellow spine label) 'DRIKHUNG. CHONGYE. KOTSHAL. RGYAMA. Ganden 1948'. (Cover) - '9 DRIKHUNG. CHONGYE. YARLUNG. GYAMA. GANDEN' [KC 15/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Notes in negative index - Folio 87. 'Gya ma khri khang.' [KC 30/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's Handlist, Negative book '9' 'Drikhung, Chongye etc.' [nos] 88 - 91. 'The Rgya-ma valley is some eight miles downstream from Mal 'gro. The Khri-khang was the headquarters of one of the 13 Khri skor set up by the Mongols in the 13th century. The estate latterly belonged to the Hor-khang family. See Mkhyen brtse p 109.' [KC 5/6/2006]
Research publication - Tibet and its History, Hugh Richardson, (1962), 1984, Boston & London, Shambala, plate 6b.
Other Information - Location: Richardson mentions this site in High Peaks, Pure Earth , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, p. 306, "Further up the [Kyichu] river in a wide valley stands Rgya-ma Khri-khang " (1949), the former administrative centre of a khri ("Thousanf District") under the Mongols. It is surrounded by a square enclosure of trees and a low wall. Inside there are three large mchod-rten ... Before reaching the Khri-khang, one passes on the hillside a small stone tower reputed to mark the birthplace of Srong-brtsan Sgam-po and containing a fine image of him. [KC 5/6/2006]
Other Information - Related image: See 2001.59.15.88.1 for another image taken at the same time from a slightly different angle. [KC 5/6/2006]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "The Trikhang at Gyama" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.15.95.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum