2001.59.15.93.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
East Kyichu Valley Region > Lamo
55 x 55 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
Negative Album 9 No. 93
‘High Peaks, Pure Earth’, Hugh Richardson, London, Serindia Publications, 1998 [view list of illustrations]
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album (slip cover) - 'Drikhung. Chongye. etc.' in Richardson's hand in white. (Yellow spine label) 'DRIKHUNG. CHONGYE. KOTSHAL. RGYAMA. Ganden 1948'. (Cover) - '9 DRIKHUNG. CHONGYE. YARLUNG. GYAMA. GANDEN' [KC 15/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Notes in negative index - Folio 93. 'do' [LA MO DGON PA] [KC 30/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's Handlist, Negative book '9' 'Drikhung, Chongye etc.' [nos] 92 - 95. 'La-mo monastery, some four miles downstream from the Rgya-ma valley (also on the left bank of the Skyid chu) the seat of the Chos-skyong oracle. See Mkhyen-brtse p 109 note 111.' [KC 5/6/2006]
Research publication - H. E. Richardson, High Peaks, Pure Earth' , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, plate 42. "La-mo." [KC 09/11/2006]
Other Information - Location: Richardson mentions this site in High Peaks, Pure Earth , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, p. 306, "The La-mo (1939, 1949) monastery, further upstream and beyond Dga'-ldan, was founded in the eleventh century by Klu-mes Tshul-khrims shes-rab, one of the principal figures of the later diffusion of the faith. The monastery was patronised and enriched by the eighteenth century noble Stag-rtse Mi-dbang, who treacherously colluded with the Dzungars. His armour and weapons are kept in the mgon-khang . La-mo is the seat of an oracle-priest whose robe and helmet are on a throne in a side chapel. Some of the wall paintings showed Bka'-gdams-pa hierarchs but the monastery was latterly Dge-lugs-pa."
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Temple in Lamo monastery " 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.15.93.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum