2001.59.15.29.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
East Kyichu Valley Region > Tsa phodrang
55 x 55 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Richardson's 1948 tour of the East Kyichu Valley
Negative Album 9 No. 29
‘High Peaks, Pure Earth’, Hugh Richardson, London, Serindia Publications, 1998 [view list of illustrations]
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album (slip cover) - 'Drikhung. Chongye. etc.' in Richardson's hand in white. (Yellow spine label) 'DRIKHUNG. CHONGYE. KOTSHAL. RGYAMA. Ganden 1948'. (Cover) - '9 DRIKHUNG. CHONGYE. YARLUNG. GYAMA. GANDEN' [KC 15/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Notes in negative index - Folio 29. 'RTSA PHOBRANG'. [KC 15/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's Handlist, Negative book '9' 'Drikhung, Chongye etc.' [nos] 29-31, 'Rtsa Pho-brang is said to have been the site of a palace of the early kings; it became an estate of 'Bri-khung. There is a small monastery, and a subsidiary chapel known as Rdo-rje dbyings.' [KC 17/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - [Hugh Richardson in conversation with Paddy Booz; see PRM Related Documents File] 'rTsa P'obrang, Rtsa Pho-brang'.
Research publication - High Peaks, Pure Earth ' H. E. Richardson, London, Serindia Publications, 1998, plate 48. "Rtsa Pho-brang." [KC 10/11/2006]
Other Information - Background: Richardson mentions this site in High Peaks, Pure Earth , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, p. 308. "About five miles up the Skyid-chu [from Drigung dzongsar] is Rtsa Pho-brang (1948), a strongly built 'palace' headquarters of an administrative office of Rdzong-gsar. It appeared almost deserted except for a steward and a monk who tended the chapel of Rdo-rje-dbyings in a turret in the back of the building." [KC 22/10/2006]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Tsa phodrang near Drigung dzongsar" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.15.29.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum