2001.59.15.23.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
East Kyichu Valley Region > Drigung dzongsar
55 x 55 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Richardson's 1948 tour of the East Kyichu Valley
Negative Album 9 No. 20
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album (slip cover) - 'Drikhung. Chongye. etc.' in Richardson's hand in white. (Yellow spine label) 'DRIKHUNG. CHONGYE. KOTSHAL. RGYAMA. Ganden 1948'. (Cover) - '9 DRIKHUNG. CHONGYE. YARLUNG. GYAMA. GANDEN' [KC 15/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Notes in negative index - Folio 23. 'UP SKYID CHU FROM RDZONG GSAR'. [KC 15/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's Handlist, Negative book '9' 'Drikhung, Chongye etc.' no 20, 'The Skyid Chu flowing down from a northerly direction, takes a sharp bend towards the east opposite Rdzong-gsar.' [KC 17/5/2006]
Other Information - Background: Richardson mentions this site in High Peaks, Pure Earth , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, p. 307, "Opposite the valley of the Mna-ra-chu, on a rocky spur at the point where the Skyid-chu in its course from the north turns sharply west, is 'Bri-gung Rdzong-gsar (1948), a sixteenth-century monastery looking like a fortress. It was the administrative headquarters of a district owned by the 'Bri-gung=pa sect of the Bka'-brgyud-pa school. There was a large chapel inside with the usual images of the sect. On the hill on the other side of the Skyid-chu was G.yu-sna monastery, reached by an iron chain suspension bridge attributed to Thang-stong rgyal-po. ..." [KC 17/5/2006]
Other Information - Setting: See Richardson's note in Mkhen-brtse's Guide to the Holy places of Central Tibet , Serie Orinetale Roma XVI, Alfonsa Ferrari (Luciano Petech), Rome, Istituto Italiano per il Medio ed Estremo Oriente, 1958, p.111. note 115. "...['Bri gun gsar lies on high ground on the left bank of the sKyid c'u, near the mouth of the gZo ron c'u; it commands one side of the narrow gap where the river emerges from the Klun sod valley. The opposite side is commanded by what is now g.Yu sna dgon pa. This appears to have been an area of importance in the early days of the Tibetan kingdom. ... Today 'Bri gun rdson gsar is primarily a fortress and administrative headquarters of a district governed by the 'Bri gun monastery; but it contains a large 'Bri gun pa chapel. I understand it was founded in the XVI century. ...H[ugh]. R[ichardson]."
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Kyichu river flowing past Drigung dzongsar" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.15.23.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum