2001.59.14.61.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
55 x 55 mm
Dancing , Performing
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album (outer case) - (on front) 'Kodak NEGATIVE FILE' in red and yellow lettering and a white label with 'Z.' in black ink'; (on reverse) 'Kangchenjunga. Gangtok Dances. RETURN of DL. Yak dancers etc. BIRDS etc.'; the letter 'A' in the top left hand corner and '8' in the right hand corner all written in white. (On spine on yellow "Subjects" label) ' GANGTOK . LHASA . PEOPLE . D.L. animals Birds; [Dates] 1936-40' written in Richardson's hand in blue ink; (below the label) the number '8' in white overwritten by the letter 'A' in pencil. Notes on negative album - (on cover) '8, Kangchenjunga. Gangtok Dances. RETURN of DL 1939. Yak dancers. Lhamo. Officials Tests. BIRDS...'. (On the spine) "KODAK NEGATIVE FILE 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 IN. (6 X 6 CM.) in embossed gold lettering; the letter "A" in white in Richardson's hand. Notes on negative index inside the negative album under 'Subject' - 'Yak dance'
Other Information - Dates: This is one of a group of 25 images for which contact prints were made using the same printing out paper although with slighty different tonal qualities as some are very sepia toned. However, there is a very limited number of images in the collection printed out on this type of paper. One of the images in this group is from Samye and Richardson states that he photographed and copied this particular inscription pillar in 1949 [ A Corpus of Early Tibetan Inscriptions , Royal Asiatic Society: James G. Forlong Series, No. XXIX, p.26]. This suggests that the images may have been taken around that time [MS 17/12/2005]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Group of yak dancers in a Lhasa street" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.14.61.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum