Hugh E. Richardson
1938-40 or c. 1950
Gyantse > Gyantse dzong
55 x 60 mm
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
‘High Peaks, Pure Earth’, Hugh Richardson, London, Serindia Publications, 1998 [view list of illustrations]
Notes on print - On the reverse of the print, 'Gyantse' is written in Richardson's hand in pencil and '601' is stamped in red ink and 'Velox' in an oval in black. [KC 25/2/2006]
Research publication - Hugh E. Richardson, High Peaks, Pure Earth , 1998, London: Serindia Publications, Plate 84. "Rgyal-rtse Rdzong." [KC 10/11/2006]
Other Information - Dates: The contact print for this image is one of a group of sixteen images that were all developed as a batch as they share the number '601' printed in red ink. The back of 2001.59.16.52.2 in this batch says ‘Nyethang 1950’, but many of the image negatives have been included in a negative album labelled ‘1936-40’. Richardson seems to have acquired his Reflex Korelle camera with which he could take 6x6 negatives in 1938 [MS 22/12/2005]
Other Information - Location: F Spencer Chapman describes the fortress at Gyantse in Lhasa: The Holy City, 1938, London: Chatto and Windus, "To reach the dzong we rode up and up a rough roadway. Massive wooden gates with crudely stuffed wild yaks and mastiffshanging in the rafters as emblems of ferocity.//... The dzong is full of small monasteries. ... The dzong which is half ruined, is built tier upon tier to the summit of the steep rock; ... Went right to the top. There are no staircases so that we had to pull the ladder up from roof to roof. ... Superb view:green barley fields, blue winding rivers, russet and sienna hills. The big monastery of Tse-chen lies on the southern side of a rocky hill a mile or two to the north-east." (pp. 54-5) [KC 11/2/2006]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Gyantse Dzong" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.14.11.2.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum