Hugh E. Richardson
Yarlung Valley Region > Tradrug
60 x 90 mm
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Richardson's 1949 tour of the Yarlung and Chyongye valleys
Notes on print/mount - 'Thraduk' is written on the reverse of print in pencil in Richardson's hand and 'Velox' in an oval is stamped in black.
Manual Catalogues - Notes on Blue negative album index - No. 49. 'Khro phug bell'.
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's handlist: 'Blue Album. [No.] 48, 49. 'Ancient bell at Khra-'brug, also in Album 9 no 50.'
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's handlist: 'Blue Album. [No.] 48, 49. 'Ancient bell at Khra-'brug, also in Album 9 n0.50'
Other Information - Location: Richardson mentions this temple in High Peaks, Pure Earth , London, Serindia Publications, 1998, p. 318. "Further south [of Rtse tshogs pa] is what is probably the oldest religious building in Yarlung, the much revered Khra-'brug (1949) temple. It is attributed to Srong-brtsan Sgam-po and is mentioned in an edict by Khri Srong-lde-brtsan but may well have undergone enlargement or restoration at different times. It is an echo of what the Lhasa Jo-khang may have originally looked like. The temple stands in a courtyard surrounded by a high, solidly built, red-topped white wall and a large gate-house in which is a small chapel. ... Over the temple doorway hangs a heavy bronze bell which suffered some damage. It is inscibed with a prayer by the dowager queen Byang-chub for the benefit of king Lde-srong-brtsan, who perhaps sponsored some repairs to the temple. ...".
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Bronze bell at Tradung in the Yarlung valley" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.13.49.2.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum