2001.59.13.2.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
1946 or 1950
Tolung Valley Region > Tsurphu
85 x 60 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
Manual Catalogues- 'NYEMO. SAMYE. YARLUNG. RGYAL.' is written on the cover of this blue neagative album in white ink in Richardson's hand.
Manual Catalogues - Notes on Blue negative index - No. . 'MTSHUR PHU'.
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's handlist 'Blue Album', [no.] .[?]
Other Information - Cultural Background: Hugh Richardson, "Memories of Tshurphu", in High Peaks, Pure Earth , 1998, London. Serindia, pp: 730-733. [KC 01/11/2006]
Other Information - Location: Tsurphu lies about forty miles to the west of Lhasa on the Drowo lungchu river. " Mtshur-phu (1946-50) [is] the principal seat of the Karma Bka'-brgyud school and residence of the Zhwa-nag ("Black Hat") incarnation. [It was founded] in 1187 ... Its many buildings are closely grouped in a high enclosed wall overlooking the 'Gro-bo-lung-chu. The entrance on the west side is by way of a courtyard in which stands an inscribed pillar dating from the ninth century which has no obvious connection with the monastery." ( High Peaks, Pure Earth, H. E. Richardson, London, Serindia Publications, 1998,
p. 312) [KC 01/11/2006]
Other Information - Tsurphu (mtshur phu) is situated in Tolung (stod lung). The monastery is the seat of the Karmapa, head of the Karma Kargyu (kar ma bka' rgyud) school of Tibetan Buddhism. The monastery was founded by Karmapa Dusum Kyenpa (1100-1193). Richardson visited Tsurphu twice first in 1946 and a second time just before leaving Lhasa in 1950. [TS 16/2/2005]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "The settlement of Tsurphu on the banks of a river" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.13.2.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum