1918.104.22.168 (Print black & white)
H. Staunton ?
1940 - 1941
Chumbi Valley > Yatung > Champithang
110 x 67 mm
Print gelatin silver
Notes on print/mount - "Velox" and the number 500 are stamped on the reverse of print in black ink. [KC 24/10/2005]
Manual Catalogues - According to Richardson this is, "Champithang [Champitang] in Sikkim. The last rest house; north side of the pass before Yatung." [Hugh Richardson in conversation with Roger Croston, detailed in H. Staunton undated Related Documents File, PRM Manuscript Collections] [KC 3/11/2005]
Other Information - Setting: "These rest-houses have been put up every ten or fifteen miles along the way from Gangtok to Gyantse. They were originally built soon after the Younghusband expedition of 1904,but most of them have been enlarged or rebuilt since. They are intended for the use of Government officials but are also at the disposal of tourists, a limited number of whom are each year allowed up the trade route as far as Gyantse" [F. Spencer Chapman, Lhasa The Holy City , London: Readers' Union, p.17]. "[We] reached the bungalow of Champithang (13,350') ... This bungalow has three rooms - a small dining-room and two bedrooms ..." (ibid. 23). [KC 24/10/2005]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Champithang dak bungalow" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_1922.214.171.124.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum