19188.8.131.52.1 (Album Print black & white)
H. Staunton ?
1940 - 1941
Lhasa > Barkhor
115 x 87 mm
Print gelatin silver
Notes on album mount - "Street Scenes Lhasa" written in pencil in Staunton's hand as a combined caption for 19184.108.40.206.1/2 in the album in which this appears [KC 17/10/2005]
Manual Catalogues - [Hugh Richardson in conversation with Roger Croston, detailed in H. Staunton undated Related Documents File, PRM Manuscript Collections] "The south side of the Jokhang, in front of the Kashag"[KC 17/10/2005]
Other Information - Related images: 19220.127.116.11 taken at a different time. The same view from a slightly different angle.[KC 17/10/2005]
Contemporary Publication - A similar image taken by Spencer Chapman is reproduced in Lhasa: The Holy City (between pp.176 - 177) with the following caption, "A Lhasa street. Notice prayer-pole on left, and, in centre, incense burner and paving in front of Kashag building. Potala in background, and Holy Mountain (18,500 ft.) in distance". There is also a description of the square in front of the Kashag on p.155, "To the south of the cathedral is the main square, which is used as a market place. To the north of this square - and therefore built right against the Cathedral - is the Kashag, the meeting-place of the Tibetan Cabinet,from which its name is taken. Here also is the Government Treasury and other official buildings. For some distance in front of the Kashag the ground is set with square cobbles,and there is a large insense-burner. It is here that the Dalai Lama, or Regent,preaches a sermon to the people on the occasion of the Tibetan New Year." [KC 17/10/2005]
Other Information - Related images: see 1918.104.22.168. This is almost exactly the same view taken at the time of the New Year
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Sungchora Square in front of Kashag with Potala" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_1922.214.171.124.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum