1998.286.172.1 (Glass negative)
Lt Col R. S. Kennedy? Willougby Patrick Rosemeyer?
Sir Charles Bell
1920-1921 or 1922?
Lhasa Area > Sera
78 x 103 mm
Negative Quarter Plate , Copy Negative
St Antony's College, Oxford
Copy Neg Lantern
Sir Charles Bell's Mission to Lhasa 1920-21
British Library, Oriental and India Office Collections
Manual Catalogues - Bell's List of Illustrations entry: "[No. of chapter] XXXII [Subject of Chapter] The Religion [Subject of Illustration] Q280-157. The Shal-ngos at entrance of the Sera Monastery, with iron rods of office. [Where placed - book page[ G.J. [Remarks] L.171"
Other Information - Photographer: Because of the nature of re-photography that has taken place, the original image may have been taken by W. P. Rosemeyer during his trip to Lhasa in 1922 to extend the telegraph line and later forwarded to Bell (possibly via David Macdonald). Alternatively, this technique of re-photographing the print may simply have been a device that Bell used for making contact exposure lantern slides. However, the fact that the original print was made using a Postcard-sized negative suggests that this original photograph was not taken by Bell. Alternatively, it may have been taken by Lt Col Robert Kennedy, the Medical Officer on Bell's mission, who also used Postcard-sized negatives [MS 17/8/2004]
Contemporary Publication - Published in 'A Year in Lhasa' in The Geographical Journal, February,1924, facing p.96:"The Two Shengnos with Iron Rods of Office". This piece was derived from a lecture given to the Royal Geographical Society in London on 3rd December 1923 [MS 10/9/2004]
Contemporary Publication - Published in 'The Religion of Tibet', Bell, C. A., Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1931, facing p.170 (bottom):" 'Two powerfully-built monks."
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Entrance to Sera Monastery" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_1998.286.172.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum