BMR.6.8.19 (Transparency colour)
Hugh E. Richardson
Lhasa > Dekyi Lingka
60 x 90 mm
Hugh E. Richardson
Technical Information - The camera used to take this collection of colour slides (Dufay colour) were a Zeiss Super Ikonta and a Reflex Korelle. [KC 09/10/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Typewritten handlist entitled 'Hugh Richardson Collection, The British Museum. Photographs taken between 1936-50. Cameras: Zeiss Super Ikonta, Reflex Korelle. 300 colour slides (Dufay colour); copies made Jan. 1995.
[no.] 19. Dekyilingka. Servants quarters and stables are at the far left. Hugh Richardson's room is on the left of the main building, his office adjacent to the right in the narrow block. The doctor and visitors stayed in the rooms on the right. (Doctors included Morgan, Guthrie, O'Malley, and Terry, the latter from Burmah Shell.) The wall to Dekyilingka was taken down around 1944 by Ludlow and Sherriff to make room for the garden.' [KC 09/10/2006]
Other Information - Setting: The Dekyi Lingka (“Garden of Happiness”) was [also] the home of the British Mission from 1936 until 1947. Located in eastern Lhasa, not far from the Norbulingka (the Dalai Lama’s Summer Palace), it was rented from the abbot of the nearby Kundeling monastery. The building was too small to house all the Mission team and so certain members (such as the telegraphist Nepean) had to live in tents in the grounds. The garden teemed with insects and birds (a boon for the ornithologists on the Mission) and groves of trees were much appreciated for screening out the dust of the city. The English style planting reminded many British visitors of home. In 1944 the Dekyi Lingka gardens were expanded by Sherriff and Ludlow. [CH 2003]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Dekyi Lingka in late winter" 05 Dec. 2006. The British Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_BMR.6.8.19.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The British Museum.
© The British Museum