2001.59.4.21.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
Lhodrag Region > Nezhi
54 X 43 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Richardson's 1950 Lhodrag tour
‘High Peaks, Pure Earth’, Hugh Richardson, London, Serindia Publications, 1998 [view list of illustrations]
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative album - '4 LHOBRAG 1950' 'Gongkar. Dzaring La. Lha khang Dzong. Sras. Pemaling Tso. Ku la kangri.' written in white in Richardson's hand.
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative index - Folio 21. 'GNAS BZHI'
Manual Catalogues - 'Album 4: Journey starting at Gong-dkar rdzong on Gtsang-po, 29.18 N. 90.48. E.' No 21. 'Gnas-bzhi monastery, c 28.20 N.91.24 E. old rnying-ma-pa monastery.' (Typewritten sheet by H.E. Richardson) [KC 3/3/2006]
Manual Catalogues - [Hugh Richardson in conversation with Paddy Booz; see PRM Related Documents File] '... Gnas Bzhi (Gnas Bshi, Neshi, Ne shi, Ne She). This is a Nyingmapa monastery/temple, 13th c. Gnas Bzhi is in Lhodrak, in the south of Tibet; Tsen dro chu valley. First travel to the Yamdrok Tso Lake, then along the Karmaling plain, 90 degrees 27 minutes east, 28 degrees 48 minutes north ...'.
Research publication - Hugh Richardson, High Peaks, Pure Earth. Collected Writings on Tibetan History and Culture , 1998, Serindia: London. Plate 73 "Gnas-gzhi." [KC 10/11/2006]
Other Information - Location: " Gnas-gzhi (1950), an important Rnying ma-pa monastery, is situated a little way down the valley on the west side. It was founded in the thirteenth century by Guru Chos-dbang, who was born here and whose image has a place on the main altar. His dmar-gdung - a gilded mchod-rten [reliquary monument] containing his mummified body- is in a separate chapel together with those of his descendents". Hugh Richardson, High Peaks, Pure Earth. Collected Writings on Tibetan History and Culture , 1998, Serindia: London. p.321. Also, mention is made of the chorten visible in the centre of this image, "In the valley below the monastery [of Smra-bo lcogs-pa] ... near the point where the Chaparchu joins the larger Lho-brag Btsan-'gro-chu, there is another, white, [chorten] (visible in the photograph of Gnas-gzhi). ( ibid. )
The monastery is founded by Terton Guru Chowang (1212-70) and housed his golden reliquary. [TS 19/5/2005]
Other Information - Dates: The date is derived from Richardson’s negative album No.4, the cover of which is marked with ‘Lhobrag 1950’. These images seem all to have been developed as part of a batch arising from a trip to Mug, Lhobrag etc in 1950. [MS 22/12/2005]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Nezhi Monastery" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.4.21.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum