2001.59.2.53.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
Gyantse Region > Changra
43 X 54 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
Manual Catalogues - Notes on front of negative album in Richardson's hand in white: '2' 'Ramagang, 'Ushang, Tshurphu rgyal, Misc pillars'. On the reverse of negative album written in blue ink on white labels in Richardson's hand: 'Hu zhang, Pa blon chen, Pha bong ka, Nyenchen thang lho, Rva sgreng, Khro 'brug, etc. etc.' [KC 10/3/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative index - Folio 53. 'Changra near Gyantse'
Other Information - Location: Changra (lcang ra) is situated to the south-west of Gyantse and historically it was one of the most important Buddhist sites in Tibet during the 14th-15th Century. The Gyatse Prince Phagpa Palsangpo (1318-70) invited the great scholar and compiler of the Tibetan canon, Buton (bu ston, 1290-1364) to found a temple at Changra. Changra is also the site of a large number of burial mounds of the noble families of the Yarlung dyansty, (7th-10th Century AD). [TS 16/3/2005]
Other Information - Dates: The contact print of this image was developed with a related batch of negatives identifiable by the batch number '609', of which there are twently nine similarly marked 6x4.5 contact prints in the Richardson Collection in the Pitt Rivers Museum. Some of these prints have been dated by Richardson to October 1950, and others relate to places that he visited only in 1948-9 and it seems likely, therefore, that this image was taken within this period [MS 17/12/2005]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Changra Dzong " 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.2.53.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum