2001.59.2.16.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
Lhasa Area > Ushangdo
55 X 56 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
‘Mk’yen Brtse’s guide to the Holy Places of Central Tibet’, Alfonsa Ferrari, Rome: ISMEO, Serie Orinetale Roma XVI, 1958 [view list of illustrations]
Manual Catalogues - Notes on front of negative album in Richardson's hand in white: '2' 'Ramagang, 'Ushang, Tshurphu rgyal, Misc pillars'. On the reverse of negative album written in blue ink on white labels in Richardson's hand: 'Hu zhang, Pa blon chen, Pha bong ka, Nyenchen thang lho, Rva sgreng, Khro 'brug, etc. etc.' [KC 10/3/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Notes on negative index - 'Folio 16. do. [Hu zhang]' [KC 10/3/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's Hand List: 'Album no. 2 [no.] 8. Another early site surrounded by stupas at 'U-zhang some 8 miles downstream from Lhasa'. [KC 4/3/2006]
Manual Catalogues - [Hugh Richardson in conversation with Paddy Booz; see PRM Related Documents File] ''U-hsang-rdo, Uchang do, U Zhang. Stupas on the plain and an uninscribed pillar, probably from the 9th c. The site is also called Hu-shang, near Lhasa.'
Other Information - History: Ushangdo ('u shang do) is situated on the east bank of the lower Kyi chu and historically is one of the most important religious sites. The Tibetan king Tri Ralpachan (khri ral pa can, 815-838 ) build a nine storey temple at Ushangdo in the 9th century AD. At the time of Richardson's visit the area was in ruin and traces of the original structure and complex can be seen. [TS 2/1/1970]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Chortens at Ushangdo" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.2.16.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum