2001.59.15.98.1 (Film negative)
Hugh E. Richardson
Lhasa Area > Ganden
55 x 55 mm
Negative film nitrate
Donated August 2001
The executors of the estate of Hugh E. Richardson
Hugh E. Richardson
Negative Album 9 No. 98
anual Catalogues - Notes on negative album (slip cover) - 'Drikhung. Chongye. etc.' in Richardson's hand in white. (Yellow spine label) 'DRIKHUNG. CHONGYE. KOTSHAL. RGYAMA. Ganden 1948'. (Cover) - '9 DRIKHUNG. CHONGYE. YARLUNG. GYAMA. GANDEN' [KC 15/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Notes in negative index - Folio 98. 'DGA' LDAN'. [KC 30/5/2006]
Manual Catalogues - Richardson's Handlist, Negative book '9' 'Drikhung, Chongye etc.' [nos] 97-100. 'The first great Dge-lugs-pa Monastery of Dga'-ldan, founded in 1409. See Mkhyen-brtse pp. 107, 108. The monastery was totaly destroyed by the Chinese in the "Cultural Revolution".'[KC 10/6/2006]
Manual Catalogues - [Hugh Richardson in conversation with Paddy Booz; see PRM Related Documents File] 'Chorten at the mouth of the Penpo Chu, connected with building(s) of Ganden Monastery.'
Other Information - Dates: The contact print of this image is part of a group made from 6x6 negatives that share the same batch development number [585 printed in black ink]. All of the contact prints processed in this batch seem to have been taken during or around the time of a trip to Drigung Monastery and Zhwai (Sha) Lhakhang, including Tsa Pobrag, Yeregang and Khyer. Photographs from this trip can be dated to 1948. In A Corpus of Early Tibetan Inscriptions [ Hertford: Stephen Austin and Son, Royal Asiatic Society, James G. Forlong Series, No. XXIX, 1985, p.45] Richardson states of the Zhwai inscriptions translated in the book that “The texts, which were first published in JRAS in 1952 and 1954, are based on copies and photographs made by me in 1948 and checked on a second visit in the following year."
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Ganden monastery from a distance" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.59.15.98.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum