2001.35.223.1 (Print Black & White)
Evan Yorke Nepean
Evan Yorke Nepean
September 7th 1936
Lhasa > Trapshi
90 x 58 mm
Loaned August 2002
British Diplomatic Mission to Lhasa 1936-37
Notes on print/mount - 2-223; 41; 'Army'. [KC 01/08/2006]
Other Information - Related Images: Caption for this image in Nepean's album (see Same Image As) - 'Artillery in action'. [MS 01/08/2006]
Other Information - Setting: This photograph seems to have been taken on September 7th 1936 when a review of Tibetan troops was held for Brigadier Neame, who had travelled to Lhasa as part of the British mission in order to give military advice to the Tibetan government. The photograph was taken by Evan Nepean, whose arrival in Lhasa had been delayed due to technical problems with the wireless equipment. He arrived in Lhasa the day prior to this event [MS 30/03/2006]
Other Information - Entry for Mission Diary September 7th 1936: "After lunch the only two Lewis guns in Lhasa were fired, giving a very poor display of both elementary training and of marksmanship at targets at 200 yards. After this a section of mountain guns (10 Pdr. B. L. of 1902 manufacture) were brought up on their mules and came into action. Their movements and drill, although not smart were sufficiently effective, and in shooting with common shell and direct laying from the gun they showed considerable skill in marksmanship. As this was the first time they had ever fired live shell it is evident that they have received useful instruction from Yutok Depon, who did some artillery training in India, but who confessed he had forgotten how to do indirect fire. They have however little idea of tactical movements or tactical use of artillery" ['Lhasa Mission, 1936: Diary of Events', Part V p. 5, written by Neame] [MS 30/03/2006]
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Military review at Trapshi" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_2001.35.223.1.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum