Appliqué tents on the Trapshi plain

Appliqué tents on the Trapshi plain

1999.23.2.75 (Print black & white)

Image for comparison


Raw Image

Key Information


H. Staunton ?


Harry Staunton

Date of Photo

March 1st 1940?


Lhasa > Trapshi

Accession number


Image Dimensions

114 x 67 mm

Appliquéd open-fronted tents with lay officials waiting for the military review on the wide open plain near the Trapshi barracks on the 23rd day of the 1st Tibetan month. This is the occasion when the Kashag, or Cabinet, reviews the Tibetan army. On the left there is a hole with a table to the side in which a small group of lesser officials are standing.

Further Information


Ritual Activity

Photographic Process

Print gelatin silver

Date Acquired

Donated 1999

Donated by

Diana Hughes


H. Staunton

Photo also owned by

Diana Hughes

Other Information

Notes on print/mount - " Velox" printed in black ink and the number 611 in red can be found on the back of the print. There is also the number 9 in pencil. [KC 29/10/2005]

Other Information - Setting

Other Information - Setting: See Hugh Richardson, Ceremonies of the Lhasa Year , London: Serindia, 1993, pp. 34-37 for a description of the Review at Trapshi. Richardson writes: "Meanwhile, open-fronted tents have been pitched near the Trapchi barracks on the sandy plain north of the city for the Kashag, other officials, the Yaso and guests; and kitchen tents for serving tea and food' [ibid. p. 34] [KC 2/12/2005]

Other Information - Dates

Other Information - Dates: Staunton was certainly in Lhasa for the Tibetan New Year in 1940 and possibly in 1941. This image is part of a group of 17 photographs taken over a two-day period (the 23rd and 24th of the first Tibetan month) which have the number 611 stamped in red on the back. [KC 31/10/2005]

For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "Appliqué tents on the Trapshi plain" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <>.

For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.

© The Pitt Rivers Museum