19188.8.131.52.2 (Album Print black & white)
H. Staunton ?
1940 - 1941
Lhasa > Gyume Dratsang
116 x 87 mm
Print gelatin silver
Notes on print/mount - "Street from Ringaan's House" written in blue ink on the reverse of the print.
Notes on album mount - "Street Scenes Lhasa" written in pencil in Staunton's hand as a combined caption for 19184.108.40.206.1/2 in the album in which this appears [KC 17/10/2005]
Manual Catalogues - [Hugh Richardson in conversation with Roger Croston, detailed in H. Staunton undated Related Documents File, PRM Manuscript Collections] "East end of the Gyu monastery". [KC 17/10/2005]
Other Information - Historical Background: "Gyume has been active as a religious institution since the middle of the 15th century. The Tantric colleges were founded in the 15th century by one of Tsongkhapa'a famus disciples in order to train novices. Gyume Dratsang became a major religious institution in Lhasa ranked after Ganden, Depung and Sera, and only monks from these monasteries were admitted. In the 1940s, Gyume Dratsang housed 500 monks and owned 28 estates, six small monasteries and five sub-colleges. Its summer retreat was located 200 kilometres from Lhasa." The Lhasa Atlas , Knud Larsen and Amund Sinding-Larsen, London: Serindia Publications, p. 140.
For Citation use:
The Tibet Album. "The Gyume Dratsang building in Lhasa" 05 Dec. 2006. The Pitt Rivers Museum. <http://tibet.prm.ox.ac.uk/photo_19220.127.116.11.2.html>.
For more information about photographic usage or to order prints, please visit the The Pitt Rivers Museum.
© The Pitt Rivers Museum